Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Advertising equals entertainment?

This article makes the claim that consumers don't want to be bored when they see advertisements. His argument is that there is a kind of social contract out there where the consumer says

"Entertain me, and I will give you my attention. Respect my intelligence, and I'll give you my interest. Do neither, and I'll give you neither."

I'm sure that entertainment is what they are looking for but I'm not so sure that that is what the advertiser should pay for. How about this: Keep their interest by educating them about what the product will do for them. I mean "educate," not cram it down their throats, force feed it to them, preach to them or give them a laundry list. I am saying put that product into the context of their lives.

I wonder how many people actually remember who the ads were about that they were entertained by. The ad people probably do. And if it plays enough times, maybe they will to. But I remember funny and/or entertaining ads and don't remember who it was the ad was advertising. Since these are expensive ads, if people have trouble remembering just who it was about, that means a lot of expense getting your message out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home